CCR 1: Draft

How does your product use or challenge conventions and how does it represent social groups or issues?

My magazine challenges conventions in a variety of ways. To begin with, my magazine represents high school level track and cross-country, different from most sports magazines. Many sports magazines that I studied, such as Sports lllustrated, cover a large range of professional sports. My magazine focuses strictly on running, and is based on a high school level to attract readers of that social group. Not only does my magazine challenge conventions in the idea of its content, but also in design. My cover page image features the subject of my main article, but shows a picture of him from the back. Most magazine covers, as observed in magazines such as Sports Illustrated or ESPN Magazine feature modeled pictures of an athlete or team from the front. The cover picture of my magazine's title page demonstrates the emphasis on the runner winning the race and shows the challenge of conventions as well.  My table of contents page challenges conventions of sports magazines also.

My product represents social groups in multiple aspects. To begin with, my magazine represents high school athletes that participate in cross country and track. Thousands of participants across the country and world take part in this sport. My magazine represents a large social group of athletes from around the ages of 14-18, which I found in my research to be the stereotypical age of subjects that would read my magazine. My target audience social groups represent teenage boys and girls who run cross country and/or track.

Comments